Maria Bowen Chapin opened “Miss Chapin’s School for Girls and Kindergarten for Boys and Girls” in 1901. The school originally enrolled 78 students, who were taught by seven teachers. It developed from a small elementary school Chapin and Alice Wetmore founded in 1894 that was explicitly intended to prepare young girls for success at the Brearley School, which had been created 10 years earlier. Chapin ran the educational side of “Primary Classes for Girls” and Wetmore ran the business end. The two ended their partnership in 1901, and Miss Chapin’s School was born.
|Serial#||Title||Estimated Cost||Program type|